Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My patience limit does not involve most adults.

It really doesn't. It gets sucked up daily by my children, the dog, Virginia drivers and the fact that my dishwasher hasn't figured out how to unload itself.

So when a friend and I don't see eye to eye on something, sure it stinks but it's life. We're all different people so therefore we're bound to disagree from time to time. On everything from what constitutes quality television (yes, NASCAR counts, and no Keeping up the with Kardashians does not), whether or not leggings count as actual pants (no, they don't) and if the West Coast is better than the East Coast (yes, most definitely).

But I guess sometimes things get misconstrued or misinterpreted. I'm non-confrontational and will walk away rather than get into a yelling match with someone. I've lost a few friends over the years because I refuse to chase after them and beg them to work something out. I offer once to fix it and if it doesn't take, then I move on. I suppose that stems from my upbringing. As a foster kid for 14 years, I guess I got so used to people coming in and out at their leisure that I just learned to move on and replace them. Bad habit? Maybe. Self-preservation? Definitely. And at 29 years old, I still haven't found a different (better is a matter of opinion) way to deal. Goals for the future.

So while reading a book today (Gotcha! by Fern Michaels is a good book) in which a character is a multimillionaire, it got me thinking what I would do if I ever came into a large sum of money in excess of 6 digits. I've had this chat with many friends before and a lot of them want flashy cars, big mansions, yachts, designer clothes, etc. And this is not a judgement pass on friends, but when you have the basic needs met, it's understandable that people wouldn't think of that. Without going into too much detail, my childhood is not something I would wish on anyone. So while thinking of it today, I realized that I wouldn't want to be that rich. I'd just like to be well enough off that I never had to worry where our next meal came from, that we could replace tires on a car without using credit cards or living on a shoe string budget the next 2 months afterward, that we could pay off a house and never worry that if we got laid off, we wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage. I'd love to travel with my kids and show them things like the Sistine Chapel, Alaska, the Eiffel tower, the great Mayan ruins, and other historical places. Places that I only ever saw on the internet. I'd like them to try different sports and activites and find something they really love. I loved photography and soccer and only got to take a few photo classes in high school and only played a year of formal team soccer (though I played in the park and alley for years). There were times when I questioned where my next meal came from. No one came to any awards ceremonies or classroom performances. I sure wish someone would have taken me to get a pedi and ice cream like I do with Adrianna. Or pick out shark books, like I do with Luke. My grandma (as referenced in a previous post) was the closest thing I had to parent and while she was amazing, it's not the same as having a family. And having your basic needs met. I don't need a Ferrari. I love my grand caravan but I could do without the $455 a month payment. Things like that. I'm a pretty simple person. I don't have expensive taste nor do I need a lot. I would give my kids the kind of childhood I didn't have but should have had.

EVERY night I tell myself I'll be in bed by 930. And every night it takes me until almost 9 to get McKenna to sleep (I lay down to nurse her about 745). And I NEED time to myself at the end of the night to relax or I go insane. I usually read, hang out with the husband, play on pinterest, crochet, etc. ANYTHING but laundry, dishes and wiping a kids butt. So by the time I actually do that long enough to relax, it's easily 1045-11. I wake up most mornings by 640 to read my bible and have my coffee before the kids wake up. If I don't do it then, it doesn't happen and not only is it important to me that I do this daily, reading my Bible first thing and having that time with God really makes my days run smoother. That didn't happen today because I stayed up too late last night editing pictures. And here it is again, 11:18 pm and I'm still up. Oy vey.

But I suppose I'm forced to go to bed now because my laptop battery is dying. Whoops. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment