Friday, September 6, 2013

Even coffee can't fix some mornings.

But maybe if I found a way to get it through an IV, maybe? 

I really hate the days that start off so chaotic that I'm wishing for bedtime before I've even finished my coffee. It's actually cool out here today. It feels like San Diego weather and it's beautiful. I had really grand plans for today that included taking the little girls to the park before morning nap time. But they apparently thought that was a cockamie idea and opted for a tantrum contest instead. I felt like putting my head through a wall. So we scrapped the park idea, I heated up my second cup of coffee and put the baby down for a nap, parked Allison's butt on the couch with Mickey Mouse and here I am to whine.

Did I mention my husband is at the Naval hospital getting his consult for his vasectomy? :D :D :D :D

I love being home with the kids. But some days,  I wish I had a job, even a menial job like Target just to get a break. Actually, I liked working at Target and if I ever go back to retail, that will be the ONLY company I'll work for. Even though my entire paycheck would go to daycare and gas. Even though I'd have even more on my plate to juggle. Even though I'd be subject to coupon crazies fighting over the coupon policy in order to save 50 cents off a bottle of shampoo. Even though I'd be coming home after the kids were in bed some nights and eating cereal for dinner. Even with all that, some days it sounds better than being home with McKenna who screams more than she smiles some days. And Allison is still about 3 weeks shy of turning 2 but has definitely gotten comfortable with the word NO! and Mine! and seeing how far she can launch a sippy cup when I won't let her use my rolled up yoga mat to play whack-a-dog. Some days, it sounds like it would be relaxing. 

Then I'm jolted back to reality. Usually when McKenna has stopped squealing long enough to be cute and play with her toes. And Allison has climbed up next to me to show me where my nose and eyes and mouth is and then ask for a kiss. Then I remember that with the hard times, come the good times. That for every tantrum, there is a cuddle moment or two. That it's a balancing act and I just to need to remember that. That these days go so fast and they'll be gone before I know it and a small piece of me will wish them back (well, maybe not the tantrums). 

My first 3 kids were more or less the same as babies. They were easy to please, easy sleepers, totally content to be by themselves periodically and while they had a routine, they did okay if it varied once in a while. Then there's McKenna. She is my wild card. And she's particular and completely unpredictable at the same time. There's no rhyme or reason to her. What works for her one day, doesn't work the next. She cannot seem to function unless she's attached to me some days and other days, I actually can put her down for a few minutes. I try to babywear when I can but as I've mentioned before, that only works so long before I'm overwhelmed and need a break. So I'm trying to get her on SOME sort of schedule so that we can BOTH be happy. Poor Allison has pretty much been cooped up all summer as we try to dance around McKenna's sleep (or lack thereof) schedule. It usually happens that McKenna wakes up right as Allison goes down, and then goes down again right as Allison wakes up. So from 930-330 every day, we're stuck here bouncing between nap times. What a bummer. I feel bad. My older two were cooped up a lot as toddlers due to the lack of a vehicle. Now I have one but no time. lol I know this won't last forever, but I just hate being cooped up in the house all the time. 

Well. At least it's Friday and Kenneth has the day off. We are going to finish a bookshelf we are customizing for Adrianna and then I am going to work on a baby gift I'm crocheting for a dear friend. I need to get on it! Her babies will likely be born in 2 months! Tomorrow, we're taking a picnic lunch to Kids Cove, this big playground at Mount Trashmore (landfill converted to a park is a great idea, but what a name!) in Virgina Beach and we will play and fly kites and roll down the big hill. I'm enjoying having ALL my kiddos home. 

Even if there are days when a 51/50 sounds like a mini-vacation. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment