Friday, August 30, 2013

End of the longest summer ever

My kiddos are home!!! After 10 weeks (77 days) apart, I FINALLY have my oldest two back home. Ever since we moved across the country, my ex-husband's summer visitation jumped from alternate weeks to 10 weeks straight. This was INCREDIBLY difficult for me. Prior to this, I had never been apart from my kids for longer than the 1.5 weeks he usually got after Christmas. So it was a rough summer. A lonely and quiet summer. I mean, I still had the little girls of course but they're so young still and they don't do much. And with their alternating nap schedules, it's not worth the hassle. But now my big kids are home!

In June, I flew them from Virginia to California and we flew out a few days early. I get the first week after school lets out and the last week before school resumes so I took a few of my days and we spent them with my side of the family in California. He picked up the kids from my mom's house and they were excited to see him but he (as usual) showed little emotion and gave them the same sort of hello he might offer to a cashier at 7-11. My oldest, Adrianna (who was 6 at the time) clung to me and cried, whispering that she didn't want to go. My son (who is 5) was less affected by his dad's monotone hello. I encouraged her to go to him and reminded her of all the family she would see soon and how much fun she would have. Outside I was smiling. Inside, my heart was breaking. I wanted to wrap them in my arms and refuse to let them go. He looked like he could care less of he saw them and I was fighting all my maternal instinct to hold them close. But, I said a quick prayer and asked for strength and ushered them out to his mom's car. I helped them into the car, made sure they had their lovies and backpacks. Again, Adrianna begged me not to make her go and I felt terrible that she felt like I was forcing her but I had no choice. Luke started to break down when he realized it was really time to go and as usual, my ex left me to do the comforting and parenting as he sat in the car.  I kept my game face on until they got in and were buckled and walked back into my parents house and bawled my eyes out.

Fast forward 77 days and I had them back in my arms. My sweet angels. I love them so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment